Friday, August 19, 2011

from A Cartographic Desire



Tanah Air Beta (Indonesia)

Mixed media on canvas |130 x 70 cm | 2011

Statement:
I used to think of maps as merely just part of geography lesson which has its function to identify and gives information about certain places. However in this work, I am attracted to the aesthetics of the natural shapes of islands which are the result of the shifting and changing of earth from time to time. Coming from Indonesia, I am particularly drawn to the islands of Indonesia which gives me an idea in a new way of looking at the disparate and scattered islands that make up Indonesia.

Through interpreting these shapes and parts of Indonesia into a drawing filled with different colours that I associate with childhood woodblock toys, I wish to evoke a sense of nostalgia and memory of the country which I grew up in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...